WWF and IUCN Outdoor Activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August

3 posters

Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August

Post  Julie G Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:18 pm

CAMPING / BIVI FOR THE METEOR SHOWER

Hello everyone,

Each year Earth passes through the trail of a meteor allowing us to see a great meteor shower on the morning of August 12th. This year it is supposed to be exceptionally good so I propose we bivi or camp out to watch it from somewhere in the Jura on Tuesday night so we can watch the meteor shower from 10pm to 3am (the best time). I have not selected the spot, but I will post that on the Outdoor Forum over the weekend or on Monday.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080808123912.htm

What to bring:
- Food and drinks (hopefully we can find a place with a BBQ)
- Camping/bivi equipment
- Flashlight
- If you want to climb before some people will probably climb in St. Cergue first

Julie cyclops

Julie G

Back to top Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty Great

Post  Gael Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Great idea Julie. Am definitely interested...

Gael

Back to top Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty Super

Post  Claire Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Me too...let's hope it's a clear night!! Like a Star @ heaven

Claire

Back to top Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty Re: Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August

Post  elise Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:18 am

Génial ! we'll be there, climbing in ste cergues first, and bbq there ?

elise

Back to top Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty UPDATE: Perseid Meteor Shower - 11 August

Post  Julie G Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 am

We have not yet decided on a location for where we will camp, but we will do our best to make sure it is within walking distance of either the St. Cergue or La Givrine train stations. More information coming soon....

(Note: if the sky is not clear we may need to cancel as we wouldn't be able to see any shooting stars!)

Julie G

Back to top Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty Re: Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August

Post  Tal Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Hello to everybody,

I will not join but wish u all a bright night :-)
weather forecast seems to be with you if Mr. Meteo Computer is not wrong sunny

Tal

Back to top Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty reconnaissance mission results

Post  Julie G Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi everyone,
Adam and I went up for a bit of a reconnaissance mission this evening...it's hard to find a place that is good for BBQ AND camping AND does not have light pollution or cows and their poop!

Best spot for star watching:
On the side of the road to St. Cergue (coming from Arzier), a few kilometers before the climbing wall/train tracks. From Arzier, before arriving in St. Cergue, turn off right where it says "bordiers autorisés" and park along that road and watch from the small road. Unfortunately, the fields in that area have cows or bulls or are not very discreet.

Best spot for camping/BBQ:
Ruines du Vieux Chateau - a nice clearing with a BBQ grill that overlooks the lake. Great spot to camp and eat, but light pollution will make it harder to see stars and the trees may block the view a bit. See the clearing on this map for exact location: http://www.tracegps.com/fr/parcours/circuit3444.htm. This is probably a steep 15 minute walk from the nearest possible place to park your car, or 20-30 minute walk from St. Cergue station.

Conclusion (my suggestion):
BBQ around 8-10pm above the climbing cliffs then walk back to cars with headlamps and drive to the star watching spot. Sleep at home, or on the side of the road by the star watching spot and hope the cows don't trample you!

People who may have cars:
Julie (IUCN) - going up with room for 3 around 9pm (undecided if I will drive back down or not)
Elise and Matt Buckle (IUCN) - climbing first, driving back down
Matt Wilkinson (WWF) - climbing first
Elma Okic (WWF) ? - climbing first
Laura Riddering (IUCN) ?
Claire Warmenbol (IUCN) ?
Gael Leopold (IUCN) ??

Please post a reply saying what you will do or email me and I'll synthesize and update the whole group at once.

Julie G

Back to top Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty Thanks

Post  Gael Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks Julie. Sounds good to me. I may not go climbing tonite because of back pain. Re car, I ll drive Ash and her parents so wont have more seats available.

Bises

Gael
PS: I havent moved to IUCN - it is more the other way around in these days - IUCN to WWF Wink

Gael

Back to top Go down

Post  elise Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:13 am

Great weather, let's go !
I'll be driving from IUCN reception around 6:16, picking up Radhika and her husband, then picking up Matt in Nyon station around 6.30, climb in St Cergues with Elma and Matt W, then BBQ/pique nique up there, and then we can go together to the star watching spot.
1 space left in the car.
Youpi !
Elise
079 278 48 90

elise

Back to top Go down

Camping out to watch Perseides Meteor Shower - 11 August Empty driving up

Post  Claire Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:14 am

Hi, i will probably (depending on whether i still feel alive after the lake swim) drive up with Monica and her friend Valeria. We've borrowed Magali's tent which sleeps 3 so that's got us covered for transport and sleeping. I have sleeping bag and stuff all in my car, so would leave the office about 6.30. Magali might join later too, just to watch the meteor shower. Thanks so much for setting this up. I will check the latest update when i come back after the swim! Smile

Claire

Back to top Go down

Post  Muffin Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Muffin goink, with 2-3 seats in car (might drive up with Matt W) , and a bivi and sleeping bag.... DOES SOMEONE HAVE A METAL GRILL to bring for BBQ?
Muffin
Muffin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/turtle_danger/sets/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down